Painter and Decorator

Painter and Decorator


Painters and decorators work on the inside and outside of buildings. They use paint and wallpaper to make rooms and buildings look good.


  • Work out how much paint or wall covering is needed for a job
  • Lay down dust sheets and prepare materials
  • Strip off old wallpaper or layers of paint
  • Fill holes and cracks and make sure surfaces are level
  • Cover surfaces with primer and undercoat
  • Mix paint to the right shade, often using computerised colour-matching equipment
  • Apply coats of paint or hang wallpaper
  • Add special finishes like stains, varnishes or marbling
  • Tidy up after finishing, and clean your tools


Painters and decorators can work for themselves and be self-employed or they could also work for painting and decorating firms, building companies, local councils or housing associations.


Painters and decorators work in people’s homes and workplaces. They can work both indoors or outdoors.

Working Hours

Most painters and decorators work between 37 and 40 hours a week.


Starting salary is around £17,000. Trends -2.2% decline leading to: 2,829 fewer jobs by 2027.


You could start as a painter and decorator’s labourer or ‘mate’. Your employer may give you the chance to take further training on the job to become a qualified painter and decorator. Some employers may require some GCSEs, usually including English and Maths, or equivalent or an intermediate apprenticeship however some will be more flexible.

You could also apply for an apprenticeship. If you have an EHCP you may be able to apply under the DfE exemption which allows the apprentice to use Entry Level 3 English and Maths qualifications. The apprentice would have to be competent enough to successfully achieve all other aspects of the apprenticeship requirements, become occupationally competent and achieve Entry Level 3 in English and Maths before the end of their apprenticeship.

College – you could start off with a Certificate in Pathways to Construction in Entry Level 3 or Level 1 or Level 1 Painting and Decorating if you have no formal qualifications

Tagged as: [Building - Construction and Trades]

400 400 Cheshire and Warrington